Re: introductions: Alan Rector

From: Alan Rector <rector@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 18:20:53 +0000
To: public-semweb-lifesci <public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org>

Hello All

For introductions...

Alan Rector - My background is in health records, terminology and
user centred design, leading to ontologies, the GALEN programme
(http://www.opengalen.org) and eventually the Semantic Web where I am
on the Best Practices & Deployment Working Group (SWBP).  I also lead
the CO-ODE project (http://www.co-ode.org) collaborating with
Stanford in the development of Protege-OWL and developing user
oriented tools, interfaces, tutorials and general resources for OWL
in BioMedicine - and elsewhere.  Since Manchester is a hotbed of DL
folk, I do a lot of work on how to exploit the inference capabilities
of OWL reasoners in biology and medicine.  Recently I spend a lot of
my time with biologists trying to understand their needs and  build
ontology based semantic resources on a wide range of topics.  I am
also interested in the binding of complex terminologies such as
SNOMED-CT to the UML/HL7 models that use them and vice versa.

Alan

-----------------------
Alan Rector
Professor of Medical Informatics