Re: Chemistry and the Semantic Web

From: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:04:02 +0200
To: Eric.Neumann@aventis.com
Cc: public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org

Eric.Neumann@aventis.com wrote:
> From my understanding of XPaths (http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#section-Introduction),
> they can be used "within" URIs. So mapping an RDF statement to a
> specific Chem-XML node or group should be doable. Am I mis-informed,
> or is this part of the standard W3C model? Of course, I'm not sure how
> this would look appended to a LSID URN:
> "urn:lsid:www.cas.org:CA:33069-62-4#feature=21" ???

You are right, XPaths can indeed be used in URLs.

Then again... According to the LSID specification, the object part of
the identifier must be an "alphanumeric sequence". But, looking at the
examples, they seem to have a rather broad definition of "alphanumeric".

I am not familiar with CML, but imagine you could do something like this:

   urn:lsid:cas.org:ca:33069-62-4.xml#xpointer(//feature[@id='21'])

If there is a limited number of element types that need to be linked to,
another option may be:

   urn:lsid:cas.org:ca.feature:33069-62-4#21

Note that some RDF tools (e.g. Protege) assume that your URIs can be
split into a namespace part and an XML NCName. Also, the '#' character
will need to be encoded when used as part of the URL in an HTTP GET
request...