Re: CRS best practices: Google Geocoding API [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

[Hello everyone; this is my first post here, after lurking for a few
weeks. Thanks to Phil Archer for the suggestion (blame him if you
don't like what I have to say!). I've been involved in geocoding on
the web for some years, not least in efforts to use and extend the Geo
microformat, contributions to vCard 4.0/ rfc6350, and in adding
geocoding to Wikipedia and its sister projects.]

On 24 March 2017 at 05:08, Bruce Bannerman <bruce.bannerman@bom.gov.au> wrote:

> I note the statement “(WGS 84) Coordinate Reference System is
> used in almost all cases where spatial data is published on the
> Web”. I find this statement dangerous

+1

It certainly is not true for coordinates on other bodies, such as the
Moon, Mars, etc. In such cases it is important to be able to specify
the CRS, or at least the body (in which case a /default/ CRS should be
commonly understood).

Some notes on these issues (gathered by me circa 2006, and no longer
maintained) may be found at:

   http://microformats.org/wiki/geo-extension-strawman

and linked pages.

> and very difficult to believe!

It may, as Ed Parsons notes, be literally true - but that doesn't mean
that "edge cases" such as I describe, which are nonetheless are huge
in number, should be ignored.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing