Re: Link between FeatureOfInterest and xxxProperty

Dear Rob, Raúl, Simon,

Please find below some reactions to your mails.
(in this mail, sosa:hasProperty and ssn:hasProperty are used
interchangeably)

to Rob;

Someone that defines a sub-class of FeatureOfInterest should also define
the properties applicable to that class as sub-properties of
sosa:hasProperty. This would make explicit the "substitution" you are
refering to.

SEAS encourages this, plus we encourage to model sub-properties of
sosa:hasProperty as functional.

As an example:

  seas:ElectricPowerSystem a owl:Class ;
    rdfs:subClassOf ssn:FeatureOfInterest ...

  seas:consumedElectricPower a owl:ObjectProperty , owl:FunctionalProperty ;
    rdfs:subPropertyOf ssn:hasProperty ;
    rdfs:domain seas:ElectricPowerSystem ...

  <fridge/1> a seas:ElectricPowerSystem ;
    seas:consumedElectricPower <fridge/1/consumption> .

to Raúl,

I added a section "What is an instances of ssn:Property ?" to the wiki page
[1].  The intent is to compare the different ways that oldssn:Property is
defined versus how it's used.

I am surprised to see that some datasets define instances of ssn:Property
that are not strongly bound to some feature of interest. Do you think this
still conforms with the definition of ssn:Property ?

to Rob again,

you mention sosa:featureOfInterestType, what is this link ?

I don't remember precisely of all my modeling attempts to associate
multiple values to different properties, but I remember that I tried hard
with RDF QB.
 1. First proposal was similar to the one you suggest, i.e., have some
generic measure component seas:consumptionMeasure, and a dimension
component seas:featureOfInterest. If I remember well, some problem arise if
you want to describe the consumption of both foi A and foi B in the same
dataset.
 2. second attempt was to bind the feature of interest directly to the
component specification. I think this one worked better, but some of the
partners refused to use RDF Data Cube and wanted some simpler vocabulary to
associate different values to different properties, at once.

In the end, our seas:hasOutput property (which will shortly be renamed
seas:hasResult to be aligned to the outcome of this group), is loosely
defined and can link to:
 - a RDF qb:DataSet,
 - one or more instances of seas:Evaluation [2] at once,
 - one or more URIs that act as names of RDF graphs,
 - ...

This has proven to be very flexible and account for several use cases.

to Simon,

I'm not very familiar to UML with metaclasses etc. Is it correct to say
that in the ISO 19109,
 - ElectricPowerSystem would be modeled as a class, and an instance of the
metaclass FeatureType,
 - ConsumedElectricPower would be modeled as a class, and an instance of
the metaclass PropertyType,
 - ElectricPowerSystem would have carrierOfCharacteristics
ConsumedElectricPower, but potentially not only
 - ConsumedElectricPower would have theFeatureType ElectricPowerSystem, but
potentially not only
 - fridge1 would be an instance of ElectricPowerSystem,
 - frige1consumption would be an instance of ConsumedElectricPower

then what would be the property of fridge1 that points to frige1consumption
?

If I attempt to align this model with SSN, then I would say that ISO 19109
properties is better aligned to the ssn:hasProperty property than to the
ssn:Property class:

"sub-properties of ssn:hasProperty are strongly bound with the sub-class of
ssn:FeatureOfInterest that they apply to  (strongly bound here = their
domain is the sub-class of ssn:FeatureOfInterest). "

The changes that you pushed into ISO 19109:2015 are very interesting,

(i) following this change, we should discourage SSN users to define the
domain of a ssh:hasProperty, but instead rely on local restrictions at the
level of the sub-class of ssn:FeatureOfInterest.

i.e., if some FeatureType ElectricPowerSystem is the carrier of some
characteristics ConsumedElectricPower, then we could map this to SSN as
follows:

  seas:ElectricPowerSystem a owl:Class ;
    rdfs:subClassOf ssn:FeatureOfInterest ;
    rdfs:subClassOf [
      owl:onProperty seas:consumedElectricPower
      owl:someValuesFrom owl:Thing ] .

  seas:consumedElectricPower a owl:ObjectProperty , owl:FunctionalProperty ;
    rdfs:subPropertyOf ssn:hasProperty ;

(ii) this is where the SEAS model diverges from ISO 19109: Properties are
assigned some value using class seas:Evaluation [2], which is not a
super-class of ssn:Observation. One or more evaluations may be used as some
command for an Actuation. One or more evaluation may be the result of a
seas:Observation, a seas:OptimizationExecution, or a seas:Forecast [3]. I
like the name "ValueAssignment" though and would have been tempted to use
it in place of "Evaluation". Unfortunately, this could bring some confusion
to the people that are familiar to ISO 19109.

Kind regards,
Maxime

[1] -
https://www.w3.org/2015/spatial/wiki/Link_between_FeatureOfInterest_and_xxxProperty