Re: rdfs:class versus owl:class in SOSA-Core

Hi,

Thanks Armin.

> I can think of the following list to vote on in our next meeting,
> incrementally. And we stopped at owl:inverseOf this meeting I just saw
> in the minutes.

I see your point but I must say that it is opposed to any ontology
engineering methodology I know.

What (almost all of) these methods tell us, is to first model with
pen&paper or using concept maps. Only after this step one should try to
formalize the desired knowledge using a particular knowledge
representation language. The reason for this is that the choice of
formal modeling paradigm and language restricts what one can state and
how to do this. Thus, ideally, one would first specify the core
conceptualizations of the domain and then try to figure out how to best
capture them in a formal language.

I find the idea of starting with particular language elements first a
bit odd. This is like instead of saying "I need an ontology about
elections and would like to state that there is no such person that has
voted as democrat and republican at the same time" to which we would
answer "okay, lets declare them to be disjoint classes", one would say
"hey, I would like to have a disjointness axiom in my ontology" and one
would say "so maybe your ontology should be about elections".

I think we should first make sure we understand what we want to have in
SOSA-core and next decide on whether there are any specific KR/KL
choices we need to make. Lets not be driven by technology here but by
semantics. Nobody will freak out if we use OWL instead of RDFS, but
people will freak out if our ontology becomes less useful than it could
be. Just as a side node, (old) SSN is in OWL. SOSA-Core is about core
*concepts* of SSN, not core knowledge representation language fragments.

Best,
Jano

Email: jano@geog.ucsb.edu