RE: [SDW-WG] Introduction

Hello All,

My name is Martin Chapman and I work for a small company called Pixia Corp.
I joined the working group because I’m a GIS software developer and have
been incorporating many of the OGC standards into my applications for over a
decade.  The thought of merging the OGC standards with the W3C standards
sounded brilliant to me and I wanted to learn more (kudos to whoever’s brain
child that is).  Like many others I will mostly be a silent observer and
with any lucky maybe I will have something intelligent to contribute along
the way.  I missed the first meeting because I live in Colorado and the
meeting was 2 AM my time, but I was hoping someone could fill me in on the
high level goals of the initiative?  A couple of quick questions if anyone
can answer them?

1.       Is the idea to create something like a CSS for geospatial
attributes (GSS for example) of HTML markup where you could associate
geometries with TAG elements via a class attribute?  In other words, every
page, div, button, link, image, etc tag... can have a shape or location
attribute?

2.       Or is the idea to add a native library to JavaScript like JS Math
or JS Date called JS Geometry or JS Geography or something geospatial
related that would have functions to do coordinate conversion, unit
translation, mensuration, etc?

3.       Or is the idea to add well know geospatial classifications to text
/ images / documents in order to make search engines more robust for
querying geospatial related data?

4.       Or is the idea to create some new type of URL protocol like mailto:
or http: but for geospatial like goto: that takes you to a location on a map
or something?  Maybe a WMS GetMap url like getmap:http://… ?

5.       Or is the idea to introduce new types of HTML tags like <table> and
could have built in map rendering support?

6.       Or is it something completely different from what I’ve mentioned?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just trying to wrap my head around the
goals.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Martin