Re: The last Best Practices requirement

Hello Alejandro,

I think it would be good to know if reusability of the data on the* "space
or object that data is being positioned within / upon"* is important here,
and if it is desirable to able to be precise about the relative location.

If the Linkability
<http://w3c.github.io/sdw/UseCases/SDWUseCasesAndRequirements.html#Linkability>
 and Spatial operators
<http://w3c.github.io/sdw/UseCases/SDWUseCasesAndRequirements.html#SpatialOperators>
requirements
where met I could say: *"I am currently inside the train that left
Amsterdam Central Station at 04:15"*. The "inside" part requires
standardisation of spatial relations and making a reference to the data
describing the train would be made possible by the linkability requirement. At
first glance, I thought that is the kind of thing that is described by the
requirement.

Now if it is desirable that other data sources (other people) can use the
same reference, something more may be needed, like specifying that the data
about the train can be used as a reference system, or putting the data
about the train in a collection of valid references for location (a
registry).

Another requirement could be to be able to be precise or quantitative about
the location relative to the *"space or object that data is being
positioned within / upon"*. In the train example, it could be desirable to
be able to specify wagon number and seat number. In that case, there is a
need for a definition of how the numbers that describe the location should
be interpreted (like in a formal description of a geographical coordinate
reference system). That would overlap with the BP requirement in column K
of the spreadsheet
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PSnpJYQDgsdgZgPJEfUU0EhVfgFFYGc1WL4xUX9Dunk>
(which has not yet been carried over to the UCR document, by the way):*
"There should be a standard for publishing data about coordinate reference
systems  (CRS) - Not only geographical reference systems."*, but it is
taking it a step further because I don't think things like wagon numbers or
seat number would count as coordinates.

We could rephrase that requirement to *"There should be a standard for
publishing data about numerical reference systems - Not only geographical
reference systems and not only coordinate reference systems"*? Or is that
going too far (if a reference system is always a coordinate reference
system it would keep standardising reference systems simpler) and/or not
really demanded by a use case? At the moment I can't think of a use case
that requires numerical positioning by other means than coordinates.

Regards,
Frans