RE: OWL Time Ontology update

Dear Iacopo,

Thank you for this very useful information.

We will not extend the OWL Time ontology because it has a small, tight, scope and there are so many extension that people desire.

Please bear in mind that one of the purposes of the revision of the Ontology was to allow and support extensions including to non-Gregorian calendars.

Is your re-use and extension work affected by the deprecated elements?
 (time:DateTimeInterval - use time:ProperInterval instead,
  time:Year - replaced by time:unitYear,
  time:January - replaced by greg:January)

If modification is necessary, is it straightforward to modify your extensions to work correctly?

Practices in ontology engineering have evolved since the original 2006 version of the ontology. One concern is the use of global  constraints on properties (domain, range) versus local constraints  (owl:Restriction). The revised ontology relaxes the constraints on  some properties from the original ontology, and we would be interested  in hearing if there are any adverse consequences. (time:hasBeginning,  time:hasEnd, time:hasDurationDescription)

We look forward to your response with interest.

Best wishes, Chris

Chris Little
Chair, OGC Temporal Domain Working Group

IT Fellow - Operational Infrastructures
Met Office  FitzRoy Road  Exeter  Devon  EX1 3PB  United Kingdom
Tel: +44(0)1392 886278  Fax: +44(0)1392 885681  Mobile: +44(0)7753 880514
E-mail: chris.little@metoffice.gov.uk  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk

I am normally at work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday each week