Re: [ExternalEmail] RE: Represent spatial data as Linked Data & easy to consume in the web stack

> To clarify what I meant here:
>
> 1.      Don’t encode geometry as triples in RDF – it isn’t used for
> reasoning. Yes, spatial computations are needed, but this isn’t an RDF
> task. So geometry in RDF should be carried in some embedded encoded
> literals that your spatial engine understands.
>
> 2.      OTOH, it is fine to encode geometry using JSON native support for
> arrays.

I agree with the first statement, but I have some doubts about this second.

While it is true that JSON is very popular nowadays, I think we should be
careful with recommending that geometry encodings should be JSON based for
all eternity. A while ago, XML was all the craze, which is why GML is XML
based. Current thinking is that JSON is better than XML (much to the
chagrin of some geodata providers, who have just about finished their
efforts of making their data available as XML). But can we be sure
somewhere in the future a new format won't be invented that is better than
JSON and that everyone will want? Somehow it feels better to me not to base
standards on fashions too much. I think everyone agrees that it makes sense
to regard geometry as an ordered collection of coordinates in some
reference system. Would it be possible to standardise such a definition as
something more fundamental than an encoding in XML or JSON? Would it be
possible to agree on a datatype for geometry?

Viewing geometry as a basic datatype was discussed at the face to face
meetings in Amersfoort, but it did not reach much of a conclusion. What I
mean with datatype is a common definition that is highly interoperable
between data formats and programming languages. Numbers (-12.777) or text
strings ("Banana") are very general and interoperable data types and in
fact they are some sort of arrays too. Can geometry be like that? In
relational database systems and triple stores, geographic geometry has more
or less standard datatypes too, based on WKT. Geometric data are typically
stored in a column that has 'geometry' as a data type. Can we try do have
something similar on the web?

If an agreed upon datatype definition for geometry exists, it could
eventually find its way into Javascript and JSON by that route. And into
all the great formats and languages that humankind has not invented yet...

Regards,
Frans