RE: New GeoJSON draft published

Hello Eric,

I am afraid stuff got in the way, and I have only just read the draft (though I am aware there have been lots of tweaking since.)

The Github was beyond me, so:

The section on precision is actually on both precision and accuracy. The second paragraph is on vertical accuracy. I suggest the section title adds "and Accuracy". Or you could have another section.

The first paragraph has "a precision well within that of current GPS systems". I think this is a complicated way of saying that even if you specify a precision of 10 centimetres, GPS will be less accurate, such as a metre horizontally.

I suggest a sentence like: "Modern GPS systems with WGS 84 coordinates are generally globally accurate to about one metre horizontally."

Of course, older systems may be less accurate, and modern systems with special techniques and regular updating may obtain centimetre level accuracy in a given year.

HTH, Chris (SDW member)

Chris Little
Co-Chair, OGC Meteorology & Oceanography Domain Working Group

IT Fellow - Operational Infrastructures
Met Office  FitzRoy Road  Exeter  Devon  EX1 3PB  United Kingdom
Tel: +44(0)1392 886278  Fax: +44(0)1392 885681  Mobile: +44(0)7753 880514
E-mail: chris.little@metoffice.gov.uk  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk

I am normally at work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday each week