RE: Cancelable promises

AsyncJS (http://github.com/rbuckton/asyncjs) uses a separate abstraction for cancellation based on the .NET CancellationTokenSource/CancellationToken types. You can find more information about this abstraction in the MSDN documentation here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd997364(v=vs.110).aspx

Ron
________________________________
From: John Lenz<mailto:concavelenz@gmail.com>
Sent: ý2/ý27/ý2015 8:01 PM
To: Andrea Giammarchi<mailto:andrea.giammarchi@gmail.com>
Cc: public-script-coord@w3.org<mailto:public-script-coord@w3.org>; es-discuss<mailto:es-discuss@mozilla.org>
Subject: Re: Cancelable promises

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 7:49 PM, John Lenz <concavelenz@gmail.com<mailto:concavelenz@gmail.com>> wrote:
Closure Library's promise implementation supports "cancel":

https://github.com/google/closure-library/blob/master/closure/goog/promise/promise.js#L502

A promise is cancelled only if all the "child" promises are also cancelled.

I did not say that correctly, a "parent" promise can be cancelled by a "child" it is the only child or all the children cancel.  A parent can alway cancel its children (to the children this is simply "reject").  It does add a significant amount of complexity to the promise implementation but it is for the most part contained there.

I don't believe that "cancel" can be added after the fact and an alternative (subclass or otherwise) is needed.