Re: WebIDL - passing undefined as optional nullable param

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 9:41 AM, Janusz Majnert <j.majnert@samsung.com> wrote:
> void doSomething(DOMString a, optional ErrorCallback? onError);
>
> I'm trying to find out if exceptions should be thrown in the following
> cases:
> 1. The optional argument is not given: doSomething("aaa");
> 2. undefined is passed: doSomething("aaa", undefined);

In neither case.

> I tried tracing this through the WebIDL spec and came to the conclusion that
> case 1 should work ok. For case 2, it should throw a TypeError (WebIDL
> 4.2.23, point 1), unless there is some way that the nullability takes
> effect.

You're reading it wrong. You want:

  http://heycam.github.io/webidl/#es-operations

which at some point links

  heycam.github.io/webidl/#es-operations

which defines in substep 4 of step 10 how undefined and optional go
together. Some other steps there are relevant too to complete the
picture. Hopefully this helps.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/