Re: Array-with-item in WebIDL

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 09:49:30 -0400
To: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
CC: public-script-coord@w3.org
On 6/17/15 2:11 AM, Garrett Smith wrote:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Node/contains

Ah, from Node, fine.  But no one is proposing replacing HTMLFormElement
by an Array subclass, so this is not an issue.

>>>    HTMLSelectElement

Again, no one is suggesting replacing that by an Array subclass.

> SELECT and FORM elements have a contains method. And they are
> arraylike in that they have a length and indexed properties.

OK, but see above.  So not relevant to this discussion.

> I don't understand that documentation.

Then maybe you shouldn't claim things aren't non-standard if you don't
understand the standard?

The point is, per spec HTMLObjectElement instances are callable.  And
HTMLCollection has a named getter.  So <object id="contains"> will show
up in the HTMLCollection as a property named "contains" (because of the
named getter) and the value will be a callable HTMLObjectElement instance.

None of which is relevant to the discussion at hand, because no one is
suggesting replacing HTMLCollection with an Array subclass.