Re: Array-with-item in WebIDL

From: Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 15:01:49 -0700
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, Joshua Bell <jsbell@google.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>
To: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>

On Jun 16, 2015, at 2:50 PM, Travis Leithead wrote:

> Perhaps this is heretical, but has anyone considered adding "item" and/or "contains" to the native Array.prototype object in ES? If this is indeed the web-compat blocker for dropping NodeList use in various DOM APIs, I'd like to see if anyone could support this.

TC39 investigated adding a method named "contains" to Array.prototype be we discovered that it cause web breakage: https://github.com/tc39/Array.prototype.includes#status . Instead a method called "includes" is on track to be added.

"items" is a possibility, but past experience suggests that there is a fair chance it would cause problems.

Allen.