Re: E4H compatible with string templates

From: Mike Samuel <mikesamuel@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 09:00:19 -0400
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Brendan Eich <brendan@secure.meer.net>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, Adam Barth <w3c@adambarth.com>
2013/3/14 Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Mike Samuel <mikesamuel@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think the behavior when toString throws is specified,
>
> valueOf can throw too, but that doesn't mean we hold off on evaluating
> the syntax of if() statements until runtime.  Dealing with exceptions
> is an exceptional situation (particularly in toString).

I didn't mean this as an argument against early errors.  I was merely
pointing out that the claim "In Hixie's E4H proposal, the contents of
the holes *never* causes an error. " is false.

>> and I'm
>> not sure it specifies what happens when there is insufficient memory
>> to produce the DOM.
>
> It's exactly as well-specified as document.createElement() when
> there's insufficient memory.  Hardware limitations clause, undefined
> behavior, do what you want.

The spec actually says createElementNS, not createElement, but again,
I'm just pointing out that "In Hixie's E4H proposal, the contents of
the holes *never* causes an error" is false.