Re: Standardizing console APIs: Where?

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:10:41 +0100
To: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
CC: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>, Thaddee Tyl <thaddee.tyl@gmail.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
On 27/02/2013 21:47 , François REMY wrote:
>> The script engine does not relate to clicking on things -- that
>> happens in a browser. So do you feel that script engines must ship
>> with a console? Or does that apply to web browsers? And if so,
>> why?
>
> As Brian said, the UI itself should not be defined in the spec.
> However, I feel like the object-to-string behavior should be
> standardized so that any JS engine could be used reliably in a
> command-line environment (ie console.log outputs the same string in
> the console in all browsers/engines).

I don't think that makes sense. The Console API should just be an API
for sending data to a console of some form. Whatever happens there is
entirely up to the implementation. And we definitely shouldn't assume
that it's limited to text.