RE: Standardizing console APIs: Where?

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:47:49 +0100
To: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
CC: Thaddee Tyl <thaddee.tyl@gmail.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
> The script engine does not relate to clicking on things -- that
> happens in a browser. So do you feel that script engines must ship
> with a console? Or does that apply to web browsers? And if so, why?

As Brian said, the UI itself should not be defined in the spec. However, I feel like the object-to-string behavior should be standardized so that any JS engine could be used reliably in a command-line environment (ie console.log outputs the same string in the console in all browsers/engines).

The browsers may still ship with a custom interface that wraps around the text APIs of console and that allows more fancy things, the point is that the basic functionalities should be interoperable.

> Is an informative draft a fair start or does it need to be normative
> from the get-go?

I don't feel strongly about that, but there are informative standards already, maybe something normative would be better to reach standardization.