W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-script-coord@w3.org > January to March 2013

Re: Standardizing console APIs: Where?

From: Clint Hill <clint.hill@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 07:36:01 -0700
To: Thaddee Tyl <thaddee.tyl@gmail.com>, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com>
CC: "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, es-discuss <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
Message-ID: <CD50C3D3.5C29%clint.hill@gmail.com>
I maybe missing what you're saying. But I went to the link you supplied
and that is for the Command Line API. Further it seems to be specific to
Firebug (which doesn't IMO sound like a place to hang a standard like
this). I did however find
https://getfirebug.com/wiki/index.php/Console_API to which I think is what
this thread is targeting.

The interesting bit in that standard is that it is in fact very specific
to Firebug. Reading the implementation notes clearly shows that if an
existing console object exists on window - this API is not guaranteed to
be implemented. And likewise if it's not Firefox. Seems to be vendor
specific and then even plugin specific.

These things alone tell me that a standard (w3c vs. ecma I care little) is
necessary. 



On 2/25/13 3:50 AM, "Thaddee Tyl" <thaddee.tyl@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM, Rick Waldron <waldron.rick@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>>
>>> Recently I read a post about Chrome adding a console.table API which
>>> mentioned some things in other browsers.  My immediate reaction was
>>>"is this
>>> a new proposal for addition to console standard API, because that
>>>could be
>>> pretty handy actually" but then after a moments pause and about an hour
>>> search, I realized:  There is no codified standard for console API.
>>>Turns
>>> out that public-browser-tools-testing@w3.org has sort of agreed to
>>>take it
>>> up, but it doesn't seem like anything much has happened yet and I'm
>>> wondering why that should be bound to anything with the browser since
>>> console is a pretty universal thing in implementations.  Not saying it
>>> should or shouldn't be ECMA, just that it seems to be in the wrong
>>>place now
>>> if, indeed, anything is happening there.
>>
>>
>> A very smart addition to the future standard library modules‹which are
>> dependent on a Module spec of course. Write a strawman?
>
>I beg to differ.
>
>The standard for console APIs is at
><https://getfirebug.com/wiki/index.php/Command_Line_API>, along with
>other devtools-related standards.
>It is very functional (changes happen regularly by cross-browser
>consensus, and suggestions are welcome from anyone).
>Sure, not all devtools support it all, and they may have bugs, but
>they each strive to fix their implementation.
>Duplicating standards will only duplicate efforts.
>
>You may notice that console.table is defined there now (and has been
>for some time).
>_______________________________________________
>es-discuss mailing list
>es-discuss@mozilla.org
>https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss
Received on Monday, 25 February 2013 14:36:26 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 8 May 2013 19:30:09 UTC