Re: Standardizing console APIs: Where?

On 25/02/2013 13:29 , Brian Kardell wrote:
> I must admit i am a bit surprised that anyone would appear to be opposed
> to formalizing something through one of the two groups... It seems to me
> the goal of all of these other groups here is to pick up something that
> is lacking and people wish that we had a standard for.

To reinforce what Marcos was saying: this isn't about not doing it.
We're simply asking the question of whether it's worth spending time on.

Building a standard is expensive. A lot of the time, that cost is small
compared to the savings it brings to developers (and users, but that's
less obvious here) and so we just do it. But here, a few of us are
wondering if there really is that much pain on the developer side.

I've never noticed much in the way of problems with the console API, but
I'll readily admit that I'm quite unsophisticated in my usage of it, and
while I use it every day it's pretty much just for console.log().

If there's a clear case of developer pain (as opposed to making a
standard because it's neater) then I'm certainly happy to see it happen.

If that happens, I don't know if TC39 wants it or not, but in case it's
rather not then I can think of at least two groups in W3C that we could
likely bring this work to speedily (i.e. without having to worry about
chartering and such issues).