Re: [TreatNonCallableAsNull] alternative?

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 15:24:04 +1100
To: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
CC: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, public-script-coord@w3.org, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Boris Zbarsky:
>>> If you're writing IDL for something that's already in the wild
>>> with this behavior, you need it.
>>>
>>> If you're writing a spec for something new, you don't.

Anne van Kesteren:
>> Are you sure?
>>
>> I think we'd want all event handler attributes to behave the same
>> way.

Marcos Caceres:
> That would be nice … [TreatNonCallableAsNull]'s behaviour is actually
> quite nice and forgiving (which is why I wanted to use it in the
> first place).

Which event listener attributes do we actually *need* it for currently?
  Is it a set that might creep to become bigger?  Consistency across all
event listener attributes seems nice to me, but I admit it is trading
off against hiding authoring errors.

Regardless, I don't think we want to allow [TreatNonCallableAsNull]
behaviour elsewhere.  It's not consistent with how type conversion is
done elsewhere.