Re: New full Unicode for ES6 idea

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 03:58:28 +0100, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com>
wrote:
> Here's another q for the DOM folks and others using WebIDL: is extending
> the DOM and other specs to respect the BRS and support full Unicode
> conceivable from where you sit? Desirable? Thanks.

I think that if we change ECMAScript we should align all its APIs too.
Otherwise you get two different strings in your code. I do not think that
is desirable. There is only a few places in the platform where the code
unit rather than code point nature of the platform is exposed so if we
introduce some kind of flag that could maybe work.

Dealing with the flag in a backwards compatible way is hard though so
hopefully adoption is rather quick.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/