Re: variable declarations shadowing named properties on window

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 13:41:32 -0500
To: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>
CC: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
On 1/5/12 1:33 PM, Travis Leithead wrote:
> I don't consider ids, names, frame-names, etc., to be "own properties", they are "dynamic" or "virtual" properties; said another way, they are "internal" properties to the platform object. I can't imagine an implementation that actually creates real data properties on the instance for such properties--it would be a maintenance nightmare. Am I totally off here?

"own properties" just means "not properties on the prototype".  It says
nothing about "real data properties" or anything like that.  Just
whether getOwnPropertyDescriptor returns anything useful.

That said, Gecko does in fact create actual properties on the window for
frame names at least.  Leads to bugs when frames are removed from the
DOM.  ;)