Re: variable declarations shadowing named properties on window

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 12:25:36 +1100
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
CC: Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Boris Zbarsky:
> But then that would imply that other places that use [[HasProperty]]
> would need to return false too: the [[HasProperty]] call is not told
> that it's happening for a var binding.
>
> In particular, I believe that would make the HasBinding concrete method
> return false for all GSP properties on the window, which means they
> couldn't be looked up as barewords. But I could be misreading the spec,
> of course...

I think you're right there.

I'm feeling like moving all the named properties of Window to an object
on the prototype chain would work best here:

   Object.prototype <- Window.prototype <- [named props obj] <- window

Is anyone doing Object.getPrototypeOf(window) and assuming it's
Window.prototype?  A Google code search (enjoy it while it lasts) finds
some people assigning to properties window.__proto__.  We could probably
make that work on the named properties object.