Re: Non-constructible constructors and Arrays

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 19:43:40 +0000 (UTC)
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, public-script-coord@w3.org, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.com>
On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Somehow we also need to avoid the mistake of browsers releasing
> unprefixed APIs which don't use constructors as they should. The touch
> events spec is filled with silly document.createX functions that should
> use constructors because Apple implemented it that way and without a
> prefix. :(

Why would adding a constructor be prevented here? Surely so long as the
experimental API doesn't _conflict_ with the final API, we're fine.
Prefixes are only intended to prevent name conflicts; so long as spec
editors vary the names when they vary the semantics, they're not really
needed in practice.