Re: whether [Callback=FunctionOnly] should be the default

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:32:47 -0400
To: public-script-coord@w3.org
> On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 05:13:38 +0200, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
> wrote:
>> The thread on public-web-perf that had some discussion around the
>> [Callback=FunctionOnly] change starts here:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/mid/E1QRoDR-0002X2-Lj@lowblow.w3.org
>
> Maybe [Callback] should mean [NoInterfaceObject]. I do not think we
> would ever want to expose the interface.

That claim is false, on its face (see NodeFilter interface, for example).

> Is the only reason for FunctionOnly event handlers?

Event handlers can't be FunctionOnly, as Cameron said.

The only thing that the web currently has that's FunctionOnly is the
function overload of setTimeout/setInterval; in that situation there is
no corresponding interface at all, historically, but if we want to
specify it in idl we need an interface, sorta.

-Boris