Re: removing multiple inheritance

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 00:29:36 -0400
To: public-script-coord@w3.org
On 6/16/11 12:22 AM, Cameron McCormack wrote:
> It seems that in all of Firefox, Chrome, Safari and IE, dialogArguments
> is an own property on the window object.  There’s no way to express that
> at the moment in Web IDL.

Quite honestly, I doubt there's a strong compatibility worry here
whether the property is an own property (which _all_ DOM properties are
in Chrome+Safari, but not generally in IE/Firefox, note!), a property on
Window.prototype or a property on a separate ModalWindow.prototype.

 From my point of view, having a separate ModalWindow inheriting from
Window is the simplest way to write a sane spec for this stuff, and I
would bet it's compatible with existing content.

> (The web will probably prove me wrong as soon as I type this, but) I
> would think it’s pretty unlikely that sites rely on the fact that
> dialogArguments and returnValue are on any particular object in the
> window’s prototype chain.

I agree, for what it's worth.