Re: Web IDL Garden Hose

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:18:15 -0700
Cc: Allen Wirfs-Brock <Allen.Wirfs-Brock@microsoft.com>, public-script-coord@w3.org, "Mark S. Miller" <erights@google.com>, es-discuss Steen <es-discuss@mozilla.org>
To: Yehuda Katz <wycats@gmail.com>

+public-script-coord
-public-webapps

(Soon I will start dropping es-discuss too).

On Sep 29, 2009, at 3:38 AM, Yehuda Katz wrote:

> I meant "actually written". Being able to see actual code that
> implemented pieces of the IDL in ES would make some of the more
> complex interactions more obvious (I suspect).

I don't entirely understand this request. The IDL just defines an
interface. ECMAScript doesn't have a way to declare an interface
without implementing it. And the actual behavior of most objects
described with Web IDL interfaces is not implementable in pure
ECMAScript - not the interface behavior, the actual core behavior. But
maybe you can help me understand what you want with an example. Here's
a trivial Web IDL interface, what would count as an ES implementation
to you:

interface FooBar {
     boolean isFoo(DOMString a, long b);
     boolean isBar(DOMString a, long b);