aliasing elements

From: Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:38:42 -0400
To: public-schemata-users@w3.org

Is there any way to alias an element or attribute from another namespace?

This immediate spur of this question is that the XHTML 2.0 draft is
struggling with xml:id

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-core.html#col_Core

At the moment, it defines both id and xml:id, but says not to use them
on the same element.  I believe what they really want is to say is
closer to:

xml:id is a core attribute.  id is just an alias for xml:id.  It is
not merely similar, or a second copy; it is the same attribute, so
only one of the two names can be used on any given element.

I believe that xml:lang and xml:base are similar, and there is a
chance that aliasing could help resolve some of the problems with
xlink.

-jJ