RE: Historical events

As mentioned in my earlier mail, the best _theory_ (from Allen) does not distinguish between instants and intervals – recognising that if your clock is good enough even things that look instantaneous do have a finite duration. So things which the vernacular calls ‘period’ and things known as ‘events’ are on a continuum. I’m also pretty catholic in my view of ‘notableness’ – if it is notable enough for someone to give it a name, then that’s enough.

I’m aware that schema.org is not theory-based, but theory can sometimes clarify.

Simon

From: Richard Wallis [mailto:richard.wallis@dataliberate.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 20 June, 2018 09:11
To: Anthony Moretti <anthony.moretti@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Historical events

Anthony,

I’m not following your logic here.  I don’t see a Period (of time from a start time/date to an end date/time) as an event.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate
http://dataliberate.com

Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/richardwallis

Twitter: @rjw

On 20 June 2018 at 00:05, Anthony Moretti <anthony.moretti@gmail.com<mailto:anthony.moretti@gmail.com>> wrote:
That definitely works, but only if some definition of Period was agreed on.

The property periodEventOccurred would be a subproperty of superEvent in any case:

superEvent
    periodEventOccurred

So you could describe the same information using the existing term right?

The Black Death
    superEvent: The Middle Ages

Anthony