Re: Holdings-as-Offer: wrap-up

On 10/19/13 2:07 PM, Dan Scott wrote:

>  >

> Agreed. Perhaps my fault was in not publishing a complete, ideal example
> that would demonstrate branch relationships, geographic coordinates,
> contact info, addresses, etc, where each library had its own URL that
> contained that structured data so that we could link to those pages
> rather than falling back to Text values. But that would force us to
> solve all possible problems first before publishing something that
> should work for the most common use cases.

I agree that getting the full location information is a stretch. In any
catalog displays that I have seen there is no immediate link between the
catalog and the full library information, which is usually available on
the library's web page. I have no idea where this is internally in the
various ILSs in existence. I'd settle just for making clear what the
superordinate library or library system is. Presumably that information
shows in the header area of the web page for human eyes. In some cases
it will be obvious from the domain name, but not always - there are
hosted systems that don't have their own domain, although they may have
their own URL (http://sccl.bibliocommons.com).

kc

--
Karen Coyle