Re: Holdings-as-Offer: wrap-up

On 10/19/13 2:07 PM, Dan Scott wrote:

> Agreed. Perhaps my fault was in not publishing a complete, ideal example
> that would demonstrate branch relationships, geographic coordinates,
> contact info, addresses, etc, where each library had its own URL that
> contained that structured data so that we could link to those pages
> rather than falling back to Text values. But that would force us to
> solve all possible problems first before publishing something that
> should work for the most common use cases.
>
> I was assuming that the group would mentally fill in the gaps, similar
> to how most of the existing schema.org <http://schema.org> examples
> reflect only a subset of what is possible and ideal.

Dan, et al

Given that our proposal does not make any additions to schema.org, and
doesn't need schema.org approval (AFAIK), we could think of it as the
beginning of documentation for libraries/library systems wishing to
implement schema. I think at this point that we should try some full
examples, to make sure that our "parts" are compatible and complete.

I'm aware of two primary patterns for LIS displays:
1) the search result pages, with multiple items on a page
2) the individual item pages (sometimes more than one level of detail)

#1 What will be marked up?

Do we anticipate markup of search results pages, or only of individual
item pages?

#2 What is the target/subject?

The WorldCat RDFa has the WC page URL for the item as its target.
Plugging that into the rich snippet tool I get:

A feast of snakes (Book, 1976) [WorldCat.org]
www.worldcat.org/oclc/2091649
The excerpt from the page will show up here. The reason we can't show
text from your webpage is because the text depends on the query the user
types.

(I don't know where the rich snippet tool gets the properly camel-cased
"WorldCat.org" though. ?) For libraries that do not have URIs for items,
would the target be the catalog? a search URL? or would they not be able
to provide markup?

#3 How will the information about the library (name, location, hours,
type) be expressed?

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net