Cover art rough proposal (was: Re: journal article for next call?)

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Dan Scott <denials@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:
>>

>> On 11/28/13 7:39 AM, Dan Scott wrote:
>>

>>> Perhaps CreativeWork therefore gets a "cover" property with a range of
>>> ImageObject that can be repeated; the ImageObject's "name" property
>>> would then enable the repeated variants to be distinguished?
>>

>> Note:
>>
>> Thing has:
>> image   URL     URL of an image of the item.
>>
>> and
>>
>> CreativeWork has:
>> thumbnailUrl    URL     A thumbnail image relevant to the Thing.
>>
>> which I'm guessing could be a non-specific property that could include cover
>> art on a book or DVD, as well as a thumbnail of an art work.
>
> Right, I saw those, but rejected them because they didn't allow for
> any disambiguating properties. "thumbnailUrl" might have worked if it
> wasn't tied so directly to a URL (in name as well as in range).
> "image" could have its range extended to include ImageObject, I
> suppose, although in that case you lose the distinction between any
> other image included in a given creative work and the cover art which
> holds a special place for many formats. My proposal of a "cover"
> property with a range of ImageObject would allow the "name" property
> to distinguish it, along with richer properties like "creator",
> "description", etc.
>
>> I note that musicRecording has not specified a property for album art, and
>> the examples don't show any use of that. (Aaargh! sometimes the examples
>> don't see helpful.)
>
> MusicRecording is typically contained in http://schema.org/MusicAlbum,
> which doesn't have any specific album art property either, and album
> art is a key part of most music applications. So yes, I think "cover"
> would apply nicely there, too, which is one of the reasons I scoped it
> at the CreativeWork level.

I should have noted that examples in  http://schema.org/Book and
http://schema.org/MusicAlbum do currently use "image" for its cover
art. Like Jeff, I'm far from happy with "URL" as the range of "image".

So I would like to make the following proposals related to cover art
(I'm on the way towards formalizing this in a wiki document, but
putting this out for early review via email first):

Whereas:

a) books, music albums, magazines, comic books, and other creative
works derive business value from publishing variant cover images
("cover art") for the same basic content;

b) cover art is often considered a creative work in and of itself;

c) cover art is often displayed on the web at a size much larger than
a traditional thumbnail image and thus should be distinguished from
thumbnail images;

d) "thumbnailUrl" and "image" currently have a range limited to the
data type "URL"

e) the data type "URL" offers no means of employing additional
metadata to distinguish variant covers, credit the creators of this
cover art;

f) "thumbnailUrl" currently does not appear in any of the published
examples in the schema.org documentation;

g) and "thumbnail", which has a range of "ImageObject" but currently
has a domain restricted to "ImageObject" and "VideoObject"...

Be it resolved that schema.org should:

1. Broaden the domain of "thumbnail" to include "CreativeWork";

2. Edit the "thumbnailUrl" property description to note that it is
deprecated and that "thumbnail" is preferred;

3. Broaden the range of "image" to include both URL and ImageObject,
so that images can have names, descriptions, and other data associated
with them;

4. Update some of the current examples that use image with a plain URL
(such as for Person and VideoObject) to use ImageObject instead;

5. Update some of the current examples that use "image" with a plain
URL (such as CreativeWork) to instead use the "thumbnail" property
with an ImageObject instead;

6. Create a new property, "coverArt", that is a subPropertyOf "image"
and has a domain of Book, MusicAlbum, Periodical

7. Update some of the current examples that use "image" with a plain
URL (such as Book, MusicAlbum, MusicRecording) to instead use the new
"coverArt" property with an ImageObject, taking care to include at
least one example of variant cover art;

8 Include at least one example of a "coverArt" ImageObject using the
thumbnail property to also point at the thumbnail for the cover art