Re: journal article for next call?

On 11/27/13 7:26 AM, Antoine Isaac wrote:

> Wow, now it seems that I am the one confused ;-)
> I didn't mean to make any comment on periodical, just on 'issuance',
> which to me was the same as the much more intuitive notion of 'issue'.
> To me an issue is not a collection--and that's what is implied by the
> "Thing > CreativeWork > Collection > Issuance" from the current proposal.
> But maybe I've wrongly understood the proposal...

No, I think I wrongly understood your point. I thought you were saying
that Issuance SHOULD be sub to Collection. And I was saying that
Periodical SHOULD NOT be sub to collection. So we might have been saying
the same thing. But I agree that Issuance-sub-Collection doesn't make
sense, and I'm not sure that Issuance should have article page numbers,
because I see that as a property of the article itself. That said....

Here's what the comics proposal lists [1]:

      Periodical Series - a sequential grouping of periodical issues -
The New Yorker, Redbook, The Lancet, Amazing Spider-Man
     Periodical Issues - individual instances of periodicals - The New
Yorker Vol. 1, Issue 4
     Individual comic issues - short-form, saddle-stitched, serially
published comics (the pamphlet-sized comics seen in comic book stores
and hobby shops) - Amazing Spider-Man# 600

Their series includes the volume (even tho' the definition does not), so
it looks like our issuance crosses their 'series' and 'issues'. Their
"Individual comic issue" seems to be an anthology of previously
published items, most likely within a series, that might get a series
statement in library cataloging.[2] It could be thought of as a
collection, but I doubt if anyone will be listing the individual parts.
They also have "Graphic novel" which is a monograph that extends book,
but that isn't a re-print of things that were once part of a comic series.

I think at this point we need a comparative table. I will try to do
that. What I think this means, though, is that there will be different
views so that periodicity may be used in a variety of ways at different
bibliographic "levels." Which would mean that we need to impose little
pre-conceived structure on properties like "issue" "volume" etc. so that
people can use them as they exist within their own context.

I don't know how we engage the comics folks on this, but it could be an
interesting conversation.

kc

p.s. I KNEW that serials would be a headache!

[1] http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/PeriodicalsComics
[2] I tried to find some examples, but libraries don't carry the flimsy
comics, usually, and some seem to be doing funky cataloging of the ones
they do buy, expecting that they won't last long. In any case, how
libraries catalog comics shouldn't drive too much of our view, IMO.

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net