Re: "citation" property needed on ScholarlyArticle

On 14 February 2013 22:59, Niklas Lindström <lindstream@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 1:58 PM, Alf Eaton <eaton.alf@gmail.com> wrote:

>> For an example of "citation" in action, see
>> https://peerj.com/articles/19/ and the extracted data at
>> http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpeerj.com%2Farticles%2F19%2F
>> (it looks like the itemscope/itemref properties might not be quite
>> right on the citations still, as the Structured Data Testing Tool
>> doesn't seem to be showing the properties of the itemref target for
>> the object where it's referred to).
>
> The behaviour of @itemref can be quite surprising. It doesn't actually
> represent a reference (cf. a link), but uses the referenced "data
> block" to copy embedded microdata into the current result. That's why
> the JSON output in the wiki shows five items where I suspect you only
> want three (the article and it's two citations)?

I've now updated the example to only use itemprop="citation" and
itemscope on items in the reference list, rather than on the inline
citation. This way each cited object only appears once in the
extracted data, and itemref isn't needed.

I've also moved <cite> onto the title of the cited object in the
reference list, rather than around the inline citation, to comply with
the current HTML5 spec. This means that there's still a need for
markup on inline citations to say "this is the position in the text
where an external document is being cited", and some way to connect
that to the description of the cited document in the references list:
a good case for an Annotation schema, perhaps.

Alf