Re: A quick audiobook example

On 2/14/13 4:04 AM, Richard Wallis wrote:

> "Read by Simon Prebble" supports your readBy proposal.

In library data that's simply a note:

511 0  Read by Simon Prebble

511 is "Participant or performer note". So this could be coded as
schema.org/Performer (from Event). The more precise data will come from
publisher records. So there will be different degrees of granularity
(Performer v. readBy) coming from different communities. (Not surprising)

> The next three could make us think a bit:
>    - "Mode of access: World Wide Web"
>
>       - "Requires OneClick Digital Media Manager"
>        - "System requirements: 200 MB of free disk space, 512 MB of RAM,
>     Windows Installer 3.1, Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (x86 and x64), Windows
>     Media Player 10 QA"
>
> Mode of access, could be handled by Product Ontology as a type of
> ‘downloadable’ thing.

ONIX has codes for all of the different audiobook technologies, but in
libraries all of this just goes into a text field:

538    Format: OverDrive MP3 Audiobook, OverDrive WMA Audiobook
538    Mode of access: World Wide Web
538    Requires OneClick Digital Media Manager
538    System requirements: 200 MB of free disk space, 512 MB of
        RAM, Windows Installer 3.1, Microsoft .NET Framework 4
        (x86 and x64), Windows Media Player 10 QA

So I don't think we'll get anything "ontology-like" out of the library
data. If ONIX produces its code-lists in RDF or SKOS, then there would
be a one-to-one with their data. For libraries, I think we need a note
field -- actually we may need a number of note fields. In the same way
that table of contents and descriptions are notes, we also have these
538 notes for essential technical data. It seems that what we need now
is a look at the 5xx fields in MARC. A general note property would be
good (and rich snippet producers may choose not to do anything with
those fields). The ToC should be brought out as a "thing". I'll take a
look for others.

> System requirements and requires OneClick are stumping at the moment –
> would we want to encode that?  Possibly – Is this an area where text
> notes are good enough? Possibly – If we did want properties to hang
> these off, my inclination would be for a ‘requires’ property to be added
> to schema:Product.
>
> Finally, ‘call number’  I think this one fits with productID from
> schema:Product which is relevant to manifestation/item description.

If you look at the holdings screen shots, you'll see that call number is
or includes a location identifier, and is at the item level. I think we
should discuss that when we talk about holdings.

kc