Re: schema-course-extend: credential or award offered through course.

On 20/06/16 12:26, Dan Brickley wrote:
> On 17 June 2016 at 17:32, Steve Midgley <steve@learningtapestry.com> wrote:
>> I agree that credential has many meanings across industries. I agree we
>> should try to find a term that unambiguously locates this credential as
>> educational. So, being a frequent simpleton, I'll suggest
>> "educationalCredential"
> This is an improvement.
>
> A friend I was talking to over the weekend suggested using the related
> term "accreditation". How does that sound to this community? To my
> ears it has all the right associations, and is much less evocative of
> lower-level technical notions of credential...
>
> Dan

OK. As property name I am going to suggest educationalCredentialAwarded
because we might in the future want EducationalCredential as a class name.

So, my proposal is that in order to meet the use case that people can
search for courses that offers a qualification the searcher would like
to acquire we create a new property

educationalCredentialAwarded domain Course, range Text or Thing.
Definition: a description of the qualification, award, certificate,
diploma or other educational credential awarded as a consequence of
successful completion of this course.

When the educational credentials/verifiable claims community have sorted
out how they want to describe their domain in schema.org then I hope we
will have some more specific schema type(s) that we can point to, but
for now this seems to me to be good enough to solve the use case.
Solving the bigger issue seems beyond the scope of this community group.

Phil

Phil Barker           @philbarker
LRMI, Cetis, ICBL     http://people.pjjk.net/phil
Heriot-Watt University

Ubuntu: http://xkcd.com/456/
   not so much an operating system as a learning opportunity.