Re: Spam Low: Re: Proposal: starting document for what we cover.

> On 03 Feb 2016, at 12:36, Phil Barker <phil.barker@hw.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Question: looking at the use cases, scope description and definition of an educational course, does anyone want to suggest any changes, additions, deletions...

Hi all

Some questions on the appropriate way to contribute and what scope bounds our contributions.

I have put a couple of new use case suggestions (career/goal and apply status) in the discussion, hopefully that is the right place.
https://www.w3.org/community/schema-course-extend/wiki/Talk:Outline_use_cases

Is the user search experience in scope? I appreciate that we are concerned with markup, but I imagine it will help if we consider possible search interactions (not that search engines are obliged to offer anything specific). For example, some searches like for images have advanced interfaces which utilise controlled vocabularies (dropdowns). And some search results show tiles like for recipes which show common properties with variable values.

The image search is deliberately chosen, the recipe search tends to be implied. How does the latter work? If a resource (a web page) can be more than one thing (a recipe and something else like a course) how does the search results logic decide which tile to show? For example:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=how+to+make+chocolate+cake

could return both recipes and course pages, so is a course result going to be triggered by a “course” keyword? Because you do not need a “recipe” keyword.

Also, are we considering the nesting and element placement of markup terms, or is that not significant for schema.org? Consider a recommendation to put a course title in a h1 element which can then contain further elements like:

One reason I am asking is that these questions of markup will affect how easy it will be to generate from structured sources (like relational databases or XCRI CAP), and whether things like abbr elements to provide expansions is best practice.

Apologies if these points have already been made clear; I have already checked through the documentation for guidance but may have missed some.

Tavis Reddick