Re: Best practices for linking two ldp servers

Reminds me of this (several years old) paper by Harry Halpin and others:
https://www.w3.org/2009/12/rdf-ws/papers/ws21

"When owl:sameAs isn’t the Same: An Analysis of Identity Links on the
Semantic Web"

It argues that people have been using owl:sameAs for four slightly
different purposes:
- Same Thing As But Referentially Opaque
- Same Thing As But Different Context
- Represents
- Very Similar To

Markus

On 19.03.2016 10:14, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 19 March 2016 at 01:30, Brent Shambaugh <brent.shambaugh@gmail.com
> <mailto:brent.shambaugh@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I just found it was wicked cool that I could link another linked
>     data platform server from another. I was messing around and I
>     inserted owl:sameAs. Is there a best practice? Please ignore my
>     other nonsensical triples :)
>

> Yes, exactly owl : sameAs allows two URIs to be the same.
>

>     curl -iX POST -H "Content-Type: text/turtle"     -H "Slug:
>     BrentsRWW"     --data @/var/www/data/brentrww.ttl
>     http://localhost:8080/marmotta/ldp/
>
>     with
>
>     HTTP/1.1 201 Created
>     Server: Apache Marmotta/3.3.0 (build 0)
>     ETag: W/"1458340352000"
>     Last-Modified: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 22:32:32 GMT
>     Link:
>     <http://wiki.apache.org/marmotta/LDPImplementationReport/2014-09-16>;
>     rel="http://www.w3.org/ns/ldp#constrainedBy"
>     Link: <http://www.w3.org/ns/ldp#Resource>; rel="type"
>     Link: <http://www.w3.org/ns/ldp#RDFSource>; rel="type"
>     Link: <http://www.w3.org/ns/ldp#Container>; rel="type"
>     Link: <http://www.w3.org/ns/ldp#BasicContainer>; rel="type"
>     Location: http://localhost:8080/marmotta/ldp/BrentsRWW-1
>     Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 22:32:32 GMT
>
>     cat brentrww.ttl
>
>     @prefix dc: <http://purl.org/dc/terms/> .
>     @prefix foaf: <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> .
>     @prefix owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#> .
>
>     <> a foaf:PersonalProfileDocument;
>         foaf:primaryTopic <#me> ;
>         dc:title 'Brent Files' .
>

> Great use of primary topic here!
>

>     <#me> a foaf:Person;
>         foaf:name 'Brent Shambaugh Files'  ;
>         owl:sameAs <http://bshambaugh.rww.io> .
>

> You'd probably want to link the sameAs to the corresponding #me value
> in the second server, rather than the root document.
>
> It is better to associate data with data, rather than, data with
> documents.  Documents are the delivery mechanism for data.  We should
> possibly right an FAQ on this, as it can be a source of confusion
> sometimes when starting out with linked data.
>

>     -Brent Shambaugh
>
>     Website: bshambaugh.org <http://bshambaugh.org>

---