Re: rel="meta" or rel="acl" ? was: Web Access Cntrl Spec?

NOTE - i was surprised to find that "meta" is not listed in the IANA
registry[1] and does not appear in the HTML4[2] or HTML5[3] lists. It
*does* appear in the microformats list[6], tho. seems like this is another
oppty to standardize this shared understanding; one that is already rather
will-used/established.

for a while i thought you (timbl) were referring to the <meta> *element* in
HTML[4][5] which has the benefit of supporting both name and content
attributes. this makes it a nice "catch-all" for extending metadata in
messages, but has the downside of a higher degree of indirection (i need to
find a meta tag with the name of interest, etc.).

IMO, the downside if relying on a rel="meta" is that this is already used
as an element w/ the name + content pair. i think that sets an expectation
to be dealt with if you start using the same identifier on links via @rel.
maybe not...

also, if you plan to use this as a generic "here is the metadata about this
document" that can turn out to be a very large (and likely unpredictable)
collection for machines to trundle when looking for access control
information. if "acl" is not semantically appealing, maybe "security" or
"access-control" or some other more appropriate identifier can be used to
tell machines where to find the access control data for the current
representation.

Cheers.

[1] http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xml
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/types.html#type-links