Re: Using "Punning" to Answer httpRange-14

On 5/13/12 9:12 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 13 May 2012 14:25, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com
> <mailto:danny.ayers@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Jeni Tennison on form:
>     http://www.jenitennison.com/blog/node/170
>

>     --
>     http://dannyayers.com
>
>     http://webbeep.it  - text to tones and back again
>

> From the article ^^
> "Should it change to recommend using hash URIs to identify things?"
>
> Bingo! :)

Folks, this isn't the problem. Just give *things* unambiguous Names, and
accept the fact that Web Resources have URLs for Names. This issue is a
major distraction, as history will ultimately show.

My "home address" is a *thing* too, and if I choose to conflate that
with my own name, then I bear the consequences. Likewise, if I choose to
use an Address as my Name I still have to bear the consequences (in Web
realm it means 303 work) etc..

We are turning the concept of unambiguous naming into a really annoying
perennial negative distraction. Folks will only grok these matters as
they develop, deploy, and use Linked Data apps. No amount of rhetoric
will solve the issue. The are tonnes of programmers that still don't
understand how "*" (indirection) and "&" (address-of) work in 'C' , so
what's new?

FWIW - TimBL has used URI abstraction to deliver "*" and "&" (unary
operators) to the world, via hyperlinks. It's awesome! And I strongly
advice everyone to live with this most ingenious innovation. Most more
than likely won't comprehend all of this via papers and permathreads, so
lets just encourage folks to develop applications driven by data
objects, eventually, they'll understand that programming is much deeper
than many assume. Same thing applies to the Architecture of the World
Wide Web which is "deceptively simple" etc..

Unambiguous names are all that matter. The Naming mechanism is
secondary, and implicitly full of implications irrespective of realm.
Again, I could choose to make my "home address" my Name, but doing so
has implicit implications.

Founder&  CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com