Re: POSTing to a collection and GETing its index

Hi Henry,

On 04/08/2012 06:20 PM, Henry Story wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    As I understand POSTing a resource to a Collection should create a new resource.
> We want to allow collections to be POST only so that unknown people can post into
> a collection without seeing the other resource in it. (whilst perhaps allowing the
> POSTer to edit the resources he created in that collection). We would like the owner
> of the collection to be able to know what is in the collection: so that he can for
> example find the new resources POSTed there.
>
>    So some user should be able to
>
> POST /collection/ HTTP/1.1
>
> thereby having the read-write-web server create the resource
>
>    /collection/r42
>
> which he could later edit in case he made a mistake. But he would not be
> albe to find the elements of the collection by doing a
>
> GET /collection/

There is no perfect solution for handling collections. I kind of like
Sandro's idea [1]. Also, this is a place where using the WebDav verbs
(eg. MKCOL) should be considered IMO. But this could be a problem in
the browser.

Alexandre.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/wiki/REST#Creating_Collections