Re: [ANN] Rule Language Workshop - Report, Minutes, Mailing List

From: Anthony Finkelstein <anthony@systemwire.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:15:34 +0100
To: jos.deroo@agfa.com, <public-rule-workshop-discuss@w3.org>

There certainly was a discussion of constraint handling rules and I
spoke volubly on this matter. My contender for this is CLIX
(constraint language in XML). A (slightly out of date) spec is given
at http://www.clixml.org/.

For a flavour of the language (basically first order logic + xpath
here is an example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.clixml.org/clix/1.0 clix.xsd">

<rule id="d1">
         If a product code starts with a "B", the price must be in GBP.

         Product %@=$product/Name% has a product code that start with a 'B',
	but currency is %@=$product/Price/@currency% instead of required 'GBP'.
     <forall var="product" in="/Catalogue/Product">
	        <equal op1="substring($product/Code,1,1)" op2="'B'"/>
     	    <equal op1="$product/Price/@currency" op2="'GBP'"/>

If anybody wants to try it themselves I can provide workbench +
checker. Yes we have a formal semantics.

At 2:57 am +0200 28/6/05, jos.deroo@agfa.com wrote:
>Is true record of what I heard at workshop :)
>I can't remember wether CHR (Constraint Handling Rules) [1]
>were mentioned but too me they seem semwebizable [2]
>@prefix math: <http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/math#>.
>@prefix owl: <http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#>.
>@prefix ch: <http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/2003/03swap/ch-rules#>.
>{?X math:notGreaterThan ?Y. ?Y math:notGreaterThan ?X}
>   ch:simplification {?X owl:sameAs ?Y}.
>{?X math:notGreaterThan ?Y. ?Y math:notGreaterThan ?Z}
>   ch:propagation {?X math:notGreaterThan ?Z}.
>and have the underlying SWI, XSB, YAP, Jack, (Euler?), ... engines
>Jos De Roo, AGFA http://www.agfa.com/w3c/jdroo/
>[1] http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/~dtai/projects/CHR/
>[2] http://eulersharp.sourceforge.net/2003/03swap/ch-rules
>Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
>Sent by: team-rule-language-workshop-committee-request@w3.org
>07/06/2005 23:48
>Please respond to public-rule-language-discuss
>         To:     semantic-web@w3.org, www-rdf-rules@w3.org,
>         cc:     (bcc: Jos De_Roo/AMDUS/MOR/Agfa-NV/BE/BAYER)
>         Subject:        [ANN] Rule Language Workshop - Report, Minutes,
>Mailing List
>[ Replies directed to the new list. ]
>The report from the W3C Workshop on Rule Languages for
>Interoperability is now available at:
>    http://www.w3.org/2004/12/rules-ws/report/
>An updated version of the program, including links to the slides:
>    http://www.w3.org/2004/12/rules-ws/program2
>There are contributed notes and minutes linked from the program and
>the report.
>to which you are welcome to send your thoughts about the workshop, the
>report, etc. To subscribe, send a message with the subject "subscribe"
>to public-rule-workshop-discuss-request@w3.org.  You can also read the
>list archive at:
>    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rule-workshop-discuss
>Thanks to my co-chairs, Christian de Sainte Marie and Said Tabet, as
>well as ILOG and DARPA.
>        -- sandro

Anthony Finkelstein
Director of Strategy