Re: [ANN] Rule Language Workshop - Report, Minutes, Mailing List

There certainly was a discussion of constraint handling rules and I
spoke volubly on this matter. My contender for this is CLIX
(constraint language in XML). A (slightly out of date) spec is given
at http://www.clixml.org/.

For a flavour of the language (basically first order logic + xpath
here is an example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<rules
   xmlns="http://www.clixml.org/clix/1.0"
   xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.clixml.org/clix/1.0 clix.xsd">

<rule id="d1">
     <header>
       <description>
         If a product code starts with a "B", the price must be in GBP.
       </description>
     </header>

<report>
         <error>
         Product %@=$product/Name% has a product code that start with a 'B',
	but currency is %@=$product/Price/@currency% instead of required 'GBP'.
         </error>
</report>

     <forall var="product" in="/Catalogue/Product">
         <implies>
	        <equal op1="substring($product/Code,1,1)" op2="'B'"/>
     	    <equal op1="$product/Price/@currency" op2="'GBP'"/>
	    </implies>
     </forall>
   </rule>
</rules>

If anybody wants to try it themselves I can provide workbench +
checker. Yes we have a formal semantics.

Anthony

Anthony Finkelstein
Systemwire
Director of Strategy