a first tilt at the strawman

From: Anthony Finkelstein <anthony@systemwire.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:13:47 +0100
To: public-rule-workshop-discuss@w3.org

I want to express some reservations as to the general strategy
proposed by Benjamin Grosof. I do not believe that the answer to rule
language interoperability is to create, as is implied in the
strawman, a metalanguage. I think there are simpler and more
pragmatic ways forward that have to do with standardising the ways in
which rules are referenced, assembled into rule sets and made
available to reasoning engines. These should be our first point of
attack if we are genuinely concerned with interoperability. Almost
inevitably, given the demanding technical issues, a logical
metalanguage risks either academic abstraction or excluding major
parts of the picture.

In any event I am going to put a strong plea, as I did at the
workshop to ensure that the scope of the initiative includes the
handling of constraints an important sub class of rules.

Anthony

Anthony Finkelstein
Systemwire
Director of Strategy