Draft charter nitpicks

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:42:17 +0100
To: public-rule-workshop-discuss@w3.org

These are minor comments, not significant in comparison to the larger
questions of intent of the work group and fundamental technical approach.

Section 2.6 Datatype support

I was confused by the apparent need to support XML Schema datatypes but not
necessarily RDF datatype semantics. When the dust has settled on more
important topics I'd like to understand what the issue is there. Surely the
only significant datatype support required for RDF datatype semantics *is*
a subset of XML Schema datatypes?

2.7 External Conditions and 2.8 Actions

Some of the suggested external conditions (prompted user input) seem
side-effectful as do the update/retract/etc actions. Unless I'm
misunderstanding something it's hard to see how you can permit side-effects
unless the rule language offers some procedural guarantees of ordering
(which clearly isn't the intent with FOL).

Dave