RE: A Rule Interchange Format VS a Rule Language for Interoperability and other issues

From: Gerd Wagner <wagnerg@tu-cottbus.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:42:27 +0200
To: "'Christian de Sainte Marie'" <csma@ilog.fr>, <public-rule-workshop-discuss@w3.org>

> If FOL is not a good
> candidate (as Jim at least hinted), I would be interested to
> understand
> why; and we would also need to find out what would be a good
> candidate;

What do you mean by FOL? Do you mean classical standard
(i.e. textbook) first-order predicate logic? Or do you
mean Common Logic, which is also a FOL (since its
higher-order constructs can be eliminated)? Or do you
mean partial first-order predicate logic, which would
be more suitable, since it allows indeterminate truth
values, as we have them in SQL and OCL?

> - Non-monotony: most applications/engines/rule bases that
> rely on SNAF
> also rely on monotonic inference/languages (well, I do not know for
> most; but some certainly do). It works because they actually rely on
> bounded monotony, only the bound is implicit (and, in most of
> the cases, obvious: a session, an inference cycle, whatever).

How would you define your notion of "bounded monotony"?
It's not clear for me what you mean by that.

-Gerd