Re: EBNF grammar of presentation syntax

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 08:33:37 -0400
To: Stella Mitchell <stellamit@gmail.com>
cc: Axel Polleres <axel.polleres@deri.org>, "RIF (E-mail)" <public-rif-wg@w3.org>

> > As for the rest of this thread...  I don't care about "the" PS.  It's
> > just there as a shorthand for specifying the semantics.  I'll consider
> > it a huge failure of the community if people ever actually use it
> > (instead of better PS's that come along).
> >

> My comment was that since the RIF PS defines a variable name to be an
> NCName, then, according to the specification, any variable name in an
> admissible RIF XML document must be an NCName.

Oh, right.  I forgot about that issue.  Yes, I'm pretty sure we decided
to not restrict variable names a long time ago, and we can't easily
change that at this point.  What's the status of this in the current
(nearly-CR) documents?

We should probably throw in a test case with some variable names with
spaces and non-ascii characters in them.  Force people to escape them in
their translators.  (I expect people to do something like turn all
non-alpha-numeric characters to the hex for the character, delimited by
"_", or something like that.)

   - s