AW: RIF Internal reviews

Hi Changhai,

 thanks for sending the review.

I started to address your comments 13 -27 on the semantics of PRD – please see below.

-Adrian

This section is very difficult to understand, and is very far from the production rule basics. I needs to be expressed in simpler terms

I don’t think so. We are writing a specification for a language where the semantics according to the RIF charter should be clearly defined and if possible as a model-theory. We are not writing a RIF PRD primer which primarily explains how to practically apply RIF PRD (as a production rules programmer I would study the XML schema content models and test cases in the first place, anyway)

quite difficult to understand

= Model-theoretic interpretation

Is there a simpler way to express this paragraph, or maybe we can explain what's the intention of this!

To me the intention is clear, it describes the semantic structure of PRD as the heading says. It gives important information such that D is the Herbrand Domain formed by all ground terms or that TV is a two valued logic, etc.

Since the beginning of 2.2 to here, I don’t understand the intention of all this text. There is a very big rupture.

Yes, the big picture is to describe the semantics of the condition language in PRD which intersects with Core and the semantics of BLD. Each state in the transition logic of PRD is then a herbrand interpretation and at least for a classical production rule system (without inflationary negation) it is possible to define the semantics

What does all this mean? Can there be an example to illustrate the purpose?

Basically means that RIF PRD can have can interpret other datatypes than those define in DTB

is this coomutative?

Yes

Wow! I understand this section!!

great

Need an example to illustrate

There is an active link in this sentence which links to the concrete definition

When an atom is false, do you stop the evaluation?

That would be part of an operational semantics

Same comment, if one is true, do you stop the evluation?

That would be part of an operational semantics

This big chevron gives the headache, I acquire the automatism to skip on it.

For the necessary level of detail we should keep it

I don't understand what this means.

It defines truth valuation in the presences of existential variable quantification

The meaning of this paragraph can be guessed intuitively. But another way can be to say what is a fact, then a set of facts, etc. We don't have to take the explanation the other way around.

But we are coming from the earlier definitions of a Herbrand Interpreation which now related to the current state, i.e. the set of facts. What we try here is to bridge to the operational semantics of PRD

If the previous sections explain the same things as this one, can we write this more explicitly, and also inform the readers they can skip on the the previous sections.

I don’t understand this comment. This section is about pattern matching the previous one about condition satisfaction.

If we want to precise, we need to define "representation". Otherwise, we may give an intuitive definition. Here we are between the two.

A definition is given earlier by “State of the fact base”