RE: NOT implementing triple stores

********* NOTICE **********
My new email address at IBM is: csma@fr.ibm.com
My ILOG email address will not be forwarded after June 8
*****************************

</Chair>

Paul,

public-rif-wg-request@w3.org wrote on 11/05/2009 12:30:57:

> I believe the "misquote" mentioned should in fact be the understatement:
> "Gary wants to translate frames to Java objects".
> [...]
> I suggest that the above is (likelihood> 99% IMHO) true regardless of
> Prolog compiler performance...

I completely agree with you. And it is, indeed, an understatement: I guess
that Gary, like ILOG, does not especially _want_ to translate frames to
Java objects, but that he has to do it, if he wants to do anything with
RIF...

I hoped that we would be able to include something more easily translated
to/from objects in PRD, and maybe even in Core. We did not converge fast
enough to have it in PRD 1.0 :-(

On the other hand, one might argue that it is better to have PRD 1.0 as a
basic PR dialect, and to design a full-fledged object-oriented extension
on top of it (which you have always supported, I think)...

> On frames-objects: "... there are significant semantics/functionality
> differences ..." probably deserves some attention.

One of the main difficulty is to related them (objects and frames),
although the addition of lists makes it easier: using the usual
object.field notation to denote the value of an object's field, something
like the following must hold:

Forall ?o, ?p, ?v, ?o[?p->?v] <=> (?o.?p = ?v or pred:list-contains(?o.?p,
?v))

(you know that I supported introducing an object specific notation as a
new form of TERM :-)

<Chair>

But the point raised by Gary is more general than that (I mean, than the
problem with cardinality etc).

What one thing that Gary says, I think, is that frames, in their current
definition, are not syntactic sugar for binary atoms, since you have
different constraints on the predicate in an atom and a slot in a frame.
Or, stated another way, that slot names cannot be individuals (e.g. typed
constants), not anymore than predicates can be individuals.

See also Dave's reply [1] and following thread.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rif-wg/2009May/0082.html

Cheers,

Christian

ILOG, an IBM Company
9 rue de Verdun
94253 - Gentilly cedex - FRANCE
Tel. +33 1 49 08 35 00
Fax +33 1 49 08 35 10

Compagnie IBM France
Siège Social : Tour Descartes, 2, avenue Gambetta, La Défense 5, 92400
Courbevoie
RCS Nanterre 552 118 465
Forme Sociale : S.A.S.
Capital Social : 609.751.783,30 ?