Von: public-rif-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-rif-wg-request@w3.org] Im
Auftrag von Paul Vincent
Gesendet: Dienstag, 28. April 2009 14:35
An: Sandro Hawke; Adrian Paschke
Cc: Christian De Sainte Marie; public-rif-wg@w3.org
Betreff: RE: RIF Negation
Wichtigkeit: Niedrig

Comment 1: The idea of using "not" is that, even though the semantics are
overloaded for PRD, it has the same "basic" meaning, and there is some
interchange of terms for cross-dialect use, and it is the default term for
vendor implementations of PR languages.

If the argument against "not" is that every dialect needs to be explicitly
mutually exclusive from a "dialect semantics" perspective, doesn't that
apply to (and condemn) RIF as a whole, as surely there are other more
fundamental areas where we are "overloading" for dialect usage (e.g.
consider PRD semantics for rules)?

Comment 2: If RIFWG votes on separate terms for every semantic distinction
(for "not" anyway), then using my bible of classical logic (er, Wikipedia) I
see one should use ¬ for "logical not" and not for "PRD not" :)

forall ?x
 if ¬( ex:p(?x)) then ex:q(?x)

Paul Vincent
TIBCO Software