Re: RIF Negation

********* NOTICE **********
My new email address at IBM is: csma@fr.ibm.com
My ILOG email address will not be forwarded after June 8
*****************************

"Adrian Paschke" <adrian.paschke@gmx.de> wrote on 28/04/2009 13:52:56:

> Right, probably it makes sense to have explicit constructs for
>
> Explicit/Strong/Classical negation                Neg
> Default/Negation-as-failure/Weak/Inflationary     Not

I notice that, in FLD, Michael uses the two names "Neg" and "Naf".

Wouldn't that leave "Not" free for use in PRD, if it is different from the
other two?

Also, it seems to me that the negation in PRD is not really non-monotonic,
default or NAF; not in the logical sense. Or is it?

If you have a PRD ruleset that contains the rules:

- If Not(ex:p(ex:a)) then ex:q(ex:a)
- If Not(ex:p(ex:a)) then ex:p(ex:a)

and no fact in your fact base, you will end up with "ex:q(ex:a)" in your
fact base, if the first rule fires first; even though "ex:p(ex:a)" will
eventually be added as well (I mean, "ex:q(ex:a)" will not be retracted).

Christian

ILOG, an IBM Company
9 rue de Verdun
94253 - Gentilly cedex - FRANCE
Tel. +33 1 49 08 35 00
Fax +33 1 49 08 35 10

Compagnie IBM France
Siège Social : Tour Descartes, 2, avenue Gambetta, La Défense 5, 92400
Courbevoie
RCS Nanterre 552 118 465
Forme Sociale : S.A.S.
Capital Social : 609.751.783,30 ?